Green Leisure Tours & Holidays

Tradition

Kerala, an Indian state located on the Malabar Coast of south-west India. It was formed on 1 November 1956 by the States Reorganization Act by combining various Malayalam-speaking regions. It doesn't matter what we like, but only what we know. The priority is for what you like, so here we try to give a brief epitome of Kerala.

The people of Kerala form a well educated and mature society. India occupies the 139th spot in literacy and it isn’t a surprise at all if Kerala were a country it would be at the 80th position. This is better than Columbia, Zimbabwe, Malaysia, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, and Iran to name but a few, as well as better than 76 other countries.

Kerala has a synthesized culture enriched through the ages with the contributions of various people’s and races. Its intrinsic geographical position has helped the process of cultural amalgamation. Its history unfolds the exotic and captivating story showing the unique process of cultural and social catabolism. Keralites are popularly called 'Malayalees' (Keralites) for the language they speak (Malayalam).

The women mostly dress themselves in those wonderful six meters of silk / cotton called 'Saree' or the Mundu Neryathu, very light pure cotton handlooms edged with golden thread which is a traditional two piece attire of a Hindu woman. The golden edging is sometimes touched with contrasting bright colors. They are worn as traditional saris or used as dress material. A Malayalee (Keralite) woman wearing the Mundu and neryathu, with her long black hair tied loosely and strung with a garland of Jasmine, is the very picture of charm. The habitual attire of most men folks would be ‘Mundu’, a piece of fabric worn around the waist and flowing down to the feet.



Every day clothes for all Keralites are Saris & Salwar-Kameez/Churidar for woman, Shirt & Trousers for man. The western style of dressing is also quite popular among the younger generation in Kerala.

The Hindus account for nearly 56% of the population. The rest of the 44% is almost equally divided between the Christians, Muslims and other religions.
Malayalam, the local language is considered to be a very complete language. It has 56 alphabets and many more vowels, making every word and accent in the world easily pronounceable to a Malayalee. English is well understood and is taught in schools and colleges.